ED-RED was established in the fall of 1971 by seven north suburban high school districts and has expanded to include 13 high school districts, 64 elementary school districts, 2 unit districts, 2 Special Education Cooperatives and 3 Intermediate Service Centers in Cook and Lake Counties. Legislatively, ED-RED’s area includes all or part of 19 of the present 59 Senate districts and 30 of the 118 House districts.
ED-RED has an Executive Board of twelve district administrators and board members.
An essential voice advocating for the diverse needs of suburban public schools.
- In a comprehensive education system supporting life-long learning.
- It is the responsibility of public education to support all aspects of student learning.
- A local school district must have the ability to make educational and fiscal decisions appropriate for its school community.
- The State must provide adequate financial support for all public schools.
- Funding for public schools must be stable, reliable, and predictable.
- The State must fully fund the additional costs for programs that support special education and at-risk students.
- All state mandates should be fully funded.